Italian Breaded Eggplant
- 1 Eggplants
- 1 Eggs
- ¼ Cup Milk
- 1 Tablespoon Mustard
- 1 Cup Tomato Sauce (homemade style)
- 250 g Mozzarella Cheese (or any soft cheese)
- Preheat oven at 200°C and set a baking sheet with either a thin layer of vegetable oil, baking paper, or its replacement a silicone pad.
- We beat egg with milk, salt, pepper, mustard, and any other flavoring you prefer. I usually use paprika, sweet pepper, and nutmeg.
- Slice the Eggplant lengthwise, approximately 1cm thick each slice.
- Let the eggplant sit in the egg-mix. Make sure to poke the eggplants so it absorbs more liquids.
- On another bowl set your breadcrumbs and add any herb you might like. I use thyme.
- One at a time, we will coat our slices of eggplant and place them on the baking sheet. Cook until soft golden; depending on each oven it takes between 5 to 7 minutes.
- Turn on the other side, put a spoon of tomato sauce, and spread some shredded cheese. Cook again until cheese is completely melted.
For the vegan option, you can replace egg in the liquid dip with chickpeas water, flaxseed water, or nothing. Just dip in vegan milk and spices.
You can use other vegetables such as Zucchinis, Butternut Squash, Potatoes, and many more.
And for celiac options, you can just change the breadcrumbs for corn flour or cereals which goes really good too.