- 225g Sugar
- 135g Butter
- 10g Lemon Zest
- 135g Eggs (3-4)
- 135g Flour
- Poppy Seeds
- Sugar Powder
- Lemon Juice
- Preheat oven at 180°C.
- We begin our recipe by beating the butter with the sugar until you obtain a whitish creamy consistency.
- Add the lemon zest. You also add orange zest and a teaspoon of vanilla essence.
- We continue adding the eggs until well incorporated in the mix.
- For last add the flour in 2 or 3 times with poppy seeds. I use 4 -5 tablespoons. You can adjust this to your preference.
- Pour the mix into a previously buttered and floured mold. Coom for 40 minutes.
- Glace Icing: Mix the powder sugar with the lemon juice. The secret here is to add the juice slowly until you get a thick still liquid consistency. I like covering my cake with a heavy layer of icing, so I make a generous amount and I look for a dense consistency. It takes practice to get the one you want.
For vegan options, you can change the butter for vegetable oil and the eggs for chia (or flaxseed) water. Another option is adding a graded red apple or pear.
For celiac options, you can use semolina, oat, or rice flour.
You can also play with other flavors. You can mix and match with orange zest, go plain vanilla, or switch 30% of the flour for cocoa powder. I love the lemon taste in sweets. But as always, give yourself a chance and play around with the recipe.